Friday, July 29, 2011

January 13, 2011 Gold Panning in the snow

On January 13th 2011, college was canceled again, but my back was sore from shoveling and I didnt want to carry a sluice and buckets and all that plus my other gear. So I just did some panning.

Creek pictures.






I did some test pans, didnt find any color in most places so I kept moving.













I did some test pans, didnt find any color in most places so I kept moving.





My pack and pans. I started finding some little specs here so I focused on this spot further.




Here's some of the material I was working. some kind of saprolite false bedrock. See all the black sand?










Another pic of the clay/saprolite.






Yet another pic of the saprolite/clay.






More clay/saprolite loaded with heavies.

[URL=http://img211.imageshack.us/i/imgp4794.jpg/][img]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9565/imgp4794.jpg[/img][/URL]



This is the saprolite bedrock that was decaying away into that clay. It sure holds onto the heavies once it decomposes.




This is how much black sand per pan in this spot on top of that false bedrock.





First pan with color of the day.




Another pan.






Yet another pan.






Despite getting lots of heavies in this pan, didnt get much gold, but still better then nothing.




Best piece of the day, about half the thickness of a grain of rice.






Short video of that piece.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/8043/dm4t.mp4

One of my better pans from today, see how many heavies are in there with the gold? I was almost into the pay streak.




Pictures of the woods.










Overall the gold was pretty small, except for that one piece, but at least I got out and had a great time.

1 comment:

  1. I am just starting with this hobby. Now that I have retired I have time to do things I have always wanted to do. I have very much enjoyed your videos about panning in the upstate. I hope we will run in to each other some day. Good Luck!

    R.J.

    ReplyDelete